We are committed to helping child care providers offer the best possible care to our community’s children through our Child Care Health Consultation (CCHC) Program. Public Health Nurses at the Cape Girardeau County Public Health Center assist child care providers, families, and children enrolled in child care through services aimed at:
- Providing child care health consultation and training for child care providers in our county
- Promoting safe, healthy, and developmentally appropriate environments for children in child care
- Assisting families and child care providers in accessing needed health and social service programs
- Decreasing injury, disease, and abuse for our children
- Consultation at child care homes, group homes, or centers regarding child health and safety concerns
- Training for child care providers to improve their knowledge of healthy and safe practices (training hours are awarded to child care staff)
- Education and health consultation for family members of children enrolled in a child care facility
- Health Promotion presentations for children in child care settings
- Clock-Hours: Child care facility staff can earn clock hours by attending approved training to assist them in meeting annual licensing requirements (12 clock hours per calendar year). Training is provided at no cost to the facility staff.
- Training Topics: Behaviors, Emergency Preparedness, Fire Safety, Water Safety, Communicable Disease, Growth and Development, Dental Health, Exercise/Physical Health, Breastfeeding, Seizures, Stress Management, Asthma, Food Allergies, Safe Sleep, Head Lice, Bed Bugs, Immunizations, Medication Administration, ADHD, Autism, Nutrition, Mental Health, Food Safety (other topics may be available upon request - to customize training to fit your needs, please let us know what specific topic you would like us to cover).
The CCHC Program provides health and safety education to children enrolled in child care. At the child care center, children participate in fun activities that teach them about safety and living healthy lifestyles.
- Education Topics: Nutrition, Stranger Danger, Hygiene/Hand washing, Dental Health, Playground Safety, Bullying, Expression of Feelings, Controlling Emotions, Winter Safety, Personal Safety, Diversity, Friends with Food Allergies, Importance of Sleep, Immunizations, Exercise, Seat Belt Safety, Summer Safety (other topics may be available upon request - to customize training to fit your needs, please let us know what specific topic you would like us to cover).
For more information on our Child Care Health Consultation Program or to inquire about training/health education, please contact us.